Recruitment & Retention Sub-Committee
The Recruitment and Retention Sub-Committee is charged by the Nursing Professional Advisory Committee (N-PAC) to review and recommend policy relative to the recruitment and accession of nurses in the U.S. Public Health Service and to advise the N-PAC Chair and Chief Nurse Officer. Additionally, the Recruitment Sub-Committee will be responsible for managing the Nurse Applicant Workgroup (NAW), Facebook Workgroup (FB) and Every Nurse is an Ambassador Campaign (ENIAAC) Workgroup. The ultimate goal for the Recruitment and Retention Sub-Committee is to provide every USPHS Nurse with the opportunity to get involved in recruitment activities in support of our collective goal to increase the number of Corps Nurse Officers.
Interested in becoming a U.S. Public Health Service Nurse?
Please refer to the following link for the Basic Requirements: http://www.usphs.gov/profession/nurse/
Recruitment Subcommittee Goals and Objectives:
Expand the recruitment activities of nurses, both civil service and PHS officers to meet the needs of the agencies served.
- Assist Division of Commissioned Corps Assignment with nurse applicant process.
- Provide assistance to 100% of USPHS nurse applicants by communicating awareness of current agency opportunities, discussing various types of positions available to nurses in the USPHS, offering support, and answering questions about the Commissioned Corp and individual agencies with the goal of placing each applicant into a vacant position.
- Communicate appropriate recruitment activities to the nurse category AR’s (once new ARP is announced)
- Assist Nurse Category AR Lead(s) (ARL) in communicating with Associate Recruiters (ARs)-once new ARP established.
- Distribute the recruitment letter in support of the ENIAAC outreach to schoolsRelationship building with professional nursing associations as means to attract qualified graduate/undergraduate USPHS applicants
- Encourage the use of DCCR recruitment material for activities to ensure consistency and accuracy of information to publicContinue the development of new/innovative recruitment material and seek approval of materials by N-PAC leadership
- Explore Training of Trainers (TOT) opportunity from DCCR/OCCO for ENIAAC members in an effort to promote consistent and accurate messagingDevelop Tracking/reporting tools and database for internal and external communications
- Provide support and encouragement to qualified undergraduate and graduate nursing students during the application process
- Actively recruit nursing students from clinical areas of historical high-need, i.e. rural areas and the West
- Monitor NPAC FB page daily and provide 24 hour response to questions
- Serve as resource for CC FB page and provide category specific responses as needed
- Continue to build “Fan” base and provide up-to-date information regarding USPHS and the nurse corps
Recruitment Sub-Committee Co-Chairs:
CDR Bryen Bartgis
CDR Josefine Haynes-Battle
RecruitmentOrgChartFeb2013 281 KB
Follow USPHS Nursing on Facebook: